Thursday, April 14, 2011

sustainable food systems

Breastfeeding: A Paradigm of a Sustainable Food System

What would a sustainable food system look like? To answer this question, we can just look at the characteristics of breastfeeding:
  • The consumer is in control;
  • The food is designed to meet the specific needs of the consumer, and changes in quality and quantity as those needs change over time;
  • There is no excess packaging the packaging is infinitely re-usable and aesthetically pleasing;
  • No fossil fuels are used in the production or distribution of the food;
  • There is a direct, not to say intimate, relationship between producer and consumer;
  • The producer needs to be healthy and well-nourished or the system does not work;
  • Once the system is established, both producer and consumer derive pleasure from it.
- Cathleen Kneen, 2005

2 comments:

  1. Hi Hannah,

    I stumbled across your blog when I googled "Navdanya internship experience." I am about to graduate from U of Iowa with international studies, sustainability, and global health studies. I just wrote a thesis on the need to reformat our global food system and have read numerous books by Dr. Vandana Shiva. I've been reading through many entries in your blog and have really enjoyed learning about your experiences. I was planning on applying for the Navdanya internship as food coordinator to start in Feb 2012. Reading your blog has only gotten me more excited about Navdanya and Dr. Shiva's work. If at all possible I'd like to talk more with you about your experience and any suggestions you'd have!
    Thanks,
    Kali Feiereisel
    kfeiereisel@sbcglobal.net
    (I don't have a facebook)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kali,

    I'd be happy to talk with you - what an incredibly cool program you are doing! I definitely have many stories and insights into the Navdanya experience, and could even pass you on to others who were there in and around the same time, who might be able to give you some different impressions of the place and the people.

    Could you perhaps pass on a different email? I tried to email you, but it bounced back. Or, just send me an email at hannahrenglich(at)gmail.com.
    Looking forward to hearing from you,
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete

leave me a message to let me know you were here!